Friday, April 18, 2014

Africa In April

Africa in April
Robert R. Church Park
Historic Beale Street District
Downtown Memphis

Every year, there is a festival in downtown Memphis, entitled Africa in April.  Each year, a different country is celebrated, and this year the focus is on Burkina Faso.



From Friday to Sunday, tons of booths are set up with a variety of vendors.  Some sell shirts; some sell traditional African clothing; some sell cell phone cases, etc, etc.  


My focus is on the food.  They have traditional fair/festival food, like funnel cakes.  They also have other food.  The booth I chose was called Motherland Cafe.  I tried to research it online, but couldn't find much.  The phone numbers on the sign indicated an Atlanta restaurant.  This booth proclaimed West African and Caribbean food.  


They advertised curry goat, but were out of it.  I was able to sample the curry chicken, which was very tasty.  However, I had a taste for something else.  


I ended up having a grilled lamb.  It was grilled in some type of sauce, and then laid on a bed of yellowish rice.  It also came with a side of vegetables (broccoli and carrots).  The portions were huge and were only $10.  I ate the meat and veggies, but I couldn't finish the rice.  Everything was good and tasty, and I'm glad that I didn't succumb to the funnel cake and corn dog.  

The admission was free.  There is also live music.  Go there!

No comments:

Post a Comment