Thursday, March 28, 2013

Grawemeyer's

Grawemeyer's 

520 S Main St
Memphis TN 38103




Today, it was finally a nice spring day in Memphis, so I wanted to go for a walk.  We were walking around downtown and noticed Grawemeyer's.  I had read mixed reviews in the past, but I had been wanting to try it.  We didn't have any plans to go in.  However, they had an outstanding happy hour (4pm to 7pm) posted outside.  It was $2 wells and beer, $3 house wine, $4 Bloody Mary's and Mimosas.  The plan was to just have a drink.

It looked really nice inside, fancy and retro.  The menu is mostly German.  It was a bit of a weird experience.  The bartender said he was filling in and didn't work there.  He was friendly, but he was definitely telling the truth.  He had to keep asking another person questions.



Eventually, we decide to eat.  Garrett orders the "Memphis - Cali Salad." It is listed as having spinach, cranberries, candied pecans, sliced mushrooms, and chopped Mandarin oranges, tossed with Balsamic Vinaigrette.  It costs $9 and he wanted to add grilled chicken for $2.  They were out of chicken and offered fish.  Then they realized they didn't have that either, so they offer their German hamburger meat, which he accepts.  The salad ends up being mixed field greens, spinach, red onions, roasted tomatoes, and cucumbers.  He described his meal as "fine."

I decided to get the special.  This is the description...  It says "2 German Hamburgers on slider buns with spinach and roasted tomatoes, topped with original aioli sauce" and "served with chips."



This is what I got.



I was given two identical plates of this.  I ended up having two drinks, 4 slider sized hamburger patties, with two salads.  My total was $11.10.

My food was good, so I would try it again.  I actually thought the experience was really funny.  I am hoping it was just an "off" day for them.  The mystery ended up making my day, and actually, I don't know why we didn't say anything.  However, I would like to go back and order some traditional German dish.


Grawemeyer's on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment