Tuesday, July 16, 2013

VanBreugel's Restaurat and Bistro

VanBreugel's Restaurant and Bistro
Charlotte Street South
P.O. Box N-4084
Nassau, Bahamas

Here's the first view of the restaurant. It has a porch and a nice bar with a medium sized interior.


Here's their logo. The restaurant calls says it gains its influence from Europe. 


We decided to sit outside.  The temperature was warm, but not too hot. 



We arrived at 5:30 and were told that dinner service didn't start till 6:00. We decided to have a drink. Notice the prices. I am finding that these are only slightly higher than other places. 


Garrett had been here before, and they had a drink special for $5.50.  He asked the waitress, and she said the mojito was on special.  Shortly after bringing it, she told us that she was wrong.  We ended up having to pay $12 for this drink.  


I finished mine, of course.  However, Garrett left most of his.  I was going to drink it, but it tasted like very sweet lemonade, which is just not my "cup of tea."


We didn't get any food off the bar menu, but look at those prices.  This is typical.  


Here's another page of the menu, just for reference. Apparently, I didn't take a picture of the menu that features what we actually ate.  




Both of our meals were in the mid $20 a plate.  



I had shrimp skewers that came with a small salad and one side.  The shrimp was delicious. The best part of the Bahamas is the food.  The seafood is super fresh and was probably alive that day.


I ordered creamy spinach for my side.  It was probably the best spinach I have ever eaten.  It was creamy and buttery.  Paula Deen would have been proud of the liberal use of butter.  


Garrett had the thai beef.  It came with jasmine rice.  It was really good.  I preferred my meal, but Garrett said it was his favorite meal in the Bahamas so far.  



After dinner, we took a walk in downtown Nassau.  I had missed their Independence Day celebration, but many of the remnants still remain. 


They have only been independent for 40 years.  


Another fun fact is that the exchange rate is equal. They accept US dollars or Bahamian dollars, and when you get change, you never know which you will get.  


It's a fun trip!  





No comments:

Post a Comment