Sunday, June 22, 2014

A Memphis Variety!

Yelp!  recently had an event to raise money for the Special Olympics.

The event was free, but took donations for the Special Olympics.  There were raffle tickets for a variety of Memphis restaurants.  Additionally, I was able to sample a variety of Memphis foods, so read on.

Center for Southern Folklore
119 S. Main St.
Memphis, Tennessee

The event was at the Center for Southern Folklore.  It has a front area known as the Folklore Store, which I had been to previously.  It has a gift shop with some southern favorite meals.  The venue space is quite large.  There are several different rooms.  There is a stage for live music, a bar, and an eating area.  The colors are bright and vibrant, which instantly raise someone's mood and inspire a smile.  The space is perfect to learn learn some culture and to have a private event.  On Labor Day weekend, they are a sponsor of the Memphis Music and Heritage Festival.


The center had some food for us the sample.  There was a sampling of macaroni and cheese, cornbread, greens, and peach cobbler.  The greens were great.  The cornbread was spectacular.  It was the hot water variety.  It was so good that I could eat them like cookies even though they weren't sweet.  


Oskar Blues Brewery

I tasted two different beers from Oskar Blues Brewery.  One was a pilsner called Mama's Little Yella Pils.  It was a pretty good pilsner.  The other beer that I tasted was Dale's Pale Ale.  I really preferred it.  It was very hoppy, which I love.


540 S Main St
Memphis, TN 38103

I was able to try the macaroni and cheese from the Arcade Restaurant.  It is known as Memphis's oldest restaurant.  The restaurant itself is a diner with breakfast and lunch and milkshakes.  This event featured their mac n' cheese.  It was ok.  However, I think that they have much better menu items.  


2855 Poplar Avenue
Memphis, TN 38111


This pizza place is a relatively new pizza place in Memphis.  They had a ton of samples, but of course there was no way that I could try all of them.  I sampled the El Diablo pizza.  According to their menu, it is "Grilled chicken, bacon, roasted red peppers, banana peppers, jalapenos, BBQ drizzle & our house cheese."  It was really tasty.  It was good enough to inspire me to visit this establishment.  



Another establishment at the event was the Guilt Free Pastries.  Here is the company's motto, "This company's motto is health conscious organic eating! Yep you read that right! All of our pastries are: All-Natural, Grain-Free, Gluten-Free, Butter Free, Diabetic & Vegan Friendly and Paleo approved. All ingredients used to create pastries are certified organic, all-natural and many are vegan friendly and dairy-free as well."  

I shy away from desserts made like this.  I did sample the avocado brownie.  It was good, but I have to admit that I still prefer my guilty version.  However, this is a good alternative.  All of the desserts looked awesome though.  


1890 N. Germantown Pky. Ste. 99 
Memphis, Tn 38016

Another restaurant that I was able to sample is Casbah.  I had never heard of this restaurant either.  I rarely go to Cordova, so that is probably a big reason.  After looking at their restaurant online, they claim to have the best tea and moussaka.  At this event, I was able to sample the chicken shawarma with pita bread and hummus.  The hummus was my favorite part of the sample.  I would like to visit the restaurant next time that I'm in Cordova.  


4523 Summer Ave
Memphis, TN 38122

The final restaurant that I was able to sample food is Elwood's Shack.  OMG, this place is amazing.  I can't believe that I had never heard of it before.  I had the ribs and they were perfect.  The flavor was great.  I also had their meatball sub and BBQ quesadilla.  I want those ribs now.  This is on the short list of places that I need to visit ASAP!


I got to experience some great places!

No comments:

Post a Comment